Thursday, September 5, 2013

Not in Kansas (errr, California) Anymore

DC was never in my plans.
I'm a California girl - I love my state and always will.  It's easier to picture myself living in West Africa than Washington, DC.  But here I am.
My print media professor, Dr. Simons sprung the idea on me midway through last spring semester.  The Washington Journalism Center (WJC) had a record low admittance of students for the Fall 2013 semester and was asking him to send students.  So he started working to convince me.

Honestly, it didn't take that much for me to realize it was a good idea.  Simons is my favorite and most difficult of professors.  He's pushed me to angry tears, caused me to pull all-nighters to complete his hefty homework assignments, and made some of the most sarcastic jokes at my expense.  But he's also challenged me to grow in more ways than I thought possible and so I kept taking more of his classes.  I know that a compliment from him goes a long way.
If he thinks I can handle DC, then I can handle it.





Politics drive me crazy.  So the whole idea of living and working in the political capitol was an ironic scenario.  By the grace of God, I landed an internship with a non-profit organization I can get behind with all my crazy passion - Street Sense - a news paper about inner-city issues and the homeless.
I'll begin working there in just a few short days.
In the streets, interacting with the homeless, hearing their stories, seeing the world through their eyes...that's where I want to be.  That's where I will make a difference - giving their cries a voice, displaying their beauty, searching for hope alongside them.

Two weeks have flown by.  Between Journalism classes, figuring out public transportation, and grocery shopping, I've had a bit of time to explore this great place I call my temporary home.


I almost saw Obama speak at the Lincoln memorial....if only I had gotten out of class earlier and there hadn't been a million people.

THE MOST epic view in the city is from the top of the Old Post Office. 
DC's Chinatown ain't got nothin' on SF's.  Bay Area pride!
Visit the monuments at night - it's 1,000x better!
The WWII monument is my favorite, for obvious reasons.
Sometimes I think I made a mistake in coming here.  My heart is torn between so many places and people.  When I'm missing home...counting down the days...frustrated with class...or generally having a hard time trusting God, I just go to my roof.  Eight blocks from the Capitol and surrounded by God's glory.  How can I be discontent?  How can I be ungrateful?  How can I doubt that He brought me here for His plan and purpose?  In that, I'll live.

No comments:

Post a Comment